Sunday 20 November 2011

London


On Thursday 17th I went down to London to do some research for my adult novel, The Faraway, and to meet Catherine Pellegrino, who I'm delighted to say is to become my new agent; and as I came out of the tube at St Paul's this was one of my first sights.

The whole anti-capitalist protest camp was so fascinating I found it difficult to drag myself away, and consequently when I did finally arrive at St Bartholomew's Hospital (one of the main settings in The Faraway) the museum, which I'd planned to visit, had closed. It was a bit disappointing, but I walked around in the last of the evening sun, taking photographs, and a very helpful hospital gateman was able to answer some of my questions -so it was still a very worthwhile visit.

It was lovely to be back in Smithfield again, and especially around the church of St Bartholomew the Great, which I've written about in the past (my first children's novel, Columbine, was set in Bartholomew Fair) and have a great affection for. This part of London, being just outside the Wall and therefore surviving the Great Fire, feels very much unchanged and I'm looking forward to writing about it again soon.






Here's the entrance to the churchyard - made famous by its appearance in Four Weddings and a Funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment